York Mind was formed in 2011 through the merger of the local mental health charities York & District Mind and Our Celebration.
We are an independent local mental health charity which aims to empower individuals experiencing mental ill health to start on the pathway to recovery. We believe that the condition should never define the person and consequently our recovery model encompasses every aspect of our clients’ lives: personal, social and professional.
- Befriending service
- Reduce isolation
- Improve confidence
- Empower people
Location and Contact Details
Our Befriending Service operates in Selby as well as York and within that we offer the following:
York Mind’s Befriending Service, ‘Connecting People’, provides one-to-one and group based support to adults who feel lonely or isolated. Befriending aims to:
- Reduce isolation through 1:1 and group-based support
- Improve people’s confidence, resilience and social skills
- Empower people by offering opportunities to volunteer and support others
Following a telephone assessment, you will be offered a place on one of the following groups according to availability and suitability:
- Befriending Socials – These friendly and informal monthly social groups are a great way to start your journey towards greater social confidence. Meet new people and chat over a tea, coffee and light refreshments and enjoy some of our fun activities throughout the year.
- Connecting People Wellbeing Group – This ongoing, weekly group aims to support you to make meaningful and lasting connections with others. You will be supported to discuss a range of topics, such as how to manage anxiety, develop confidence, plan ahead, and manage setbacks in addition to topics chosen by you and other group members. You can access this group for up to 6 months.
- 6-Week Confidence & Resilience Course – This course will support you to explore new ways of managing your emotions and adapting how you think and react to situations in order to feel more confident, resilient and connected. Everyone is encouraged to take part and support each other as best they can.
Following a face-to-face assessment, people are matched according to shared interests and availability, and partnerships are supported by the Befriending Team. Befrienders support clients to engage in a range of social activities in the community, like going for walks, chatting over a coffee, or visiting new places. Please note that our befrienders are unable to do home visits.
- You can access Befriending if you:
- Are aged 18 and over
- Feel lonely or isolated
- Are able to leave your house unaided
- Want to improve your confidence and wellbeing
- Are prepared to make changes and take positive risks
- Live in the districts of York or Selby
To protect our future sustainability, we ask clients to contribute £2 per session to access our befriending groups and courses. The one-to-one support is free.
You can refer yourself, or someone else can refer you by using the “refer now” button on our website.
Address at Community House in Selby:
Community House, Portholme Crescent, Selby, YO8 4QQ
“SUPPORTING RECOVERY FROM MENTAL ILL HEALTH”